Saturday, February 27, 2010

Singing Children


I hear the children singing against the mourning dove’s cry

They tread red earth and praise a blue sky

They eat the raw cocoa

They tell me it’s sweet

I’ve tasted it too

I say,

“Too bitter to eat.”

I hear them humming

I’ll try to hum too

I’m no longer a child

But I can still stay in tune

My notes scurry to run with these children of the sun

They sing to me that I cry too much

Singing,

“Mother! Give us your teardrops. We’ll drop some in our eyes

We’ll cry into the soil and help you sprout more life

When you can cry no longer

We’ll cry the final batch out

If we do things this way

There’ll be enough crying to go around

One day we’ll cry less. Laugh more

One day we’ll cry less. Laugh more.”

Sing the children against the mourning dove’s cry

They tread red earth and praise a blue sky

They eat raw cocoa

They tell me it’s sweet

I’ve tasted it too

I say,

“Too bitter to eat.”

I say,

“Soon. Too bitter for you to eat.”

No comments:

Post a Comment